An Academic Offering represents a specific offering of a Course Version during a session, joining data from the following related records: Course Version, Academic Calendar, Location (Campus via the Account object), and Primary Instructor (Contact). Prior to creating an Academic offering, a course and session must exist. An Academic Administrator creates an Academic Offering record and can use the Schedule Offering feature to establish meeting times. The Offering inherits details from the Course version record, though details may be updated. Finally, the Academic Offering record has several settings that may be established such as: Minimum and Maximum Enrollment, a Default Grade Mode, whether the Portal should display competencies on student registration pages, and whether Flexible Scheduling is allowed.
To create an Academic Offering:
- From within Salesforce, click the Academic Offerings tab. If you do not have an Academic Offerings tab, click the + tab and then click the Academic Offerings link. The Academic Offerings Home page is displayed.
- Click the New button.
- Use the UI to create an Academic Offering, which includes:
- Course (the course code will display once the course is selected)
- Maximum enrollment (this determines when a new Offering instance needs to be created, students waitlisted, or registration cut off)
- Minimum enrollment (this determines when a course Offering may be cancelled due to lack of interest)
- Academic Calendar record that the entry is being created for (the selection of a calendar entry automatically determines the session)
- Click the Save button.
To learn how to add students and instructors to an Academic Offering please see Creating Academic Plans.